Are you considering volunteering but aren’t convinced it is for you? Or perhaps you need help in finding a role? If so, read on to find the answers to your questions.
In the first week of June, hundreds of local charities, voluntary and community groups take part in Volunteers’ Week to publicly thank their volunteers who have helped deliver services and support causes across Buckinghamshire.
Perhaps you have seen first-hand how these volunteers have helped – not just in the pandemic but also in essential non-pandemic roles – and thought about giving your time or skills for free but wasn’t sure if it was for you, what it involves or how to go about finding a role.
Why do people volunteer?
Lew, one of our VCSE and Community Development Officers, has many years of experience in training and supporting volunteers. Through his own volunteering roles as well as his work alongside volunteers, he knows people give their time and skills for free for a variety of reasons. Here are his ten reasons for getting involved:
- You can make a real difference
- You get a chance to give back by investing in your community
- You have the opportunity to learn new skills and update existing skills
- You may discover hidden talents that may change your view or your self-worth
- You will gain a sense of achievement and fulfilment
- By volunteering, you could help strengthen your community
- As a volunteer you could support a wide range of people and issues – from the young to the elderly, the environment and so much more
- It could boost your self confidence
- The right role could help you develop professionally – make your CV stand out
- You could experience a new culture
- Through volunteering, you will contribute to wider community resilience and wellbeing.
What is volunteering?
Volunteering roles come in all shapes and sizes. Whether you’re looking to experience new things or use your existing skills, meet new people or give just a small amount of time from home, there are many options to choose from.
If you would like to know a bit more about volunteering, visit our I want to volunteer webpages where you can read about the different types of volunteering and experiences of other volunteers, as well as browse through FAQs and a range of resources for volunteers.
How do I find a volunteering role?
As the Volunteer Centre for Buckinghamshire, we can help you find the role which is just right for you. Whether you are looking for a one-off volunteering opportunity or long-term commitment, a role that involves being outside or working from home, or a specific cause or interest – there are a number of ways of taking the next step.
Register with Volunteer Matching Service
The Buckinghamshire Volunteer Matching Service places registered volunteers in roles where they are most needed in the county. Run by Community Impact Bucks in partnership with Buckinghamshire Council, we have recently placed the 1500th volunteer since it was set up in Spring 2020.
The Service matches Bucks residents into volunteer roles with groups and organisations across the county, including recently those with Ukrainian and Russian language skills to act as interpreters. You can find out more about the Volunteer Matching Service, including how to register and some of the 70 volunteer roles ready to be filled, by clicking here.
Check out the latest Bucks volunteer roles featured on national databases
We live stream the latest volunteer roles featured in national online databases Do-it and Reach Volunteering – go to I want to volunteer and browse the general volunteering opportunities available through Do-it, and the latest skilled volunteering and trustee opportunities from Reach Volunteering.
Approach a local organisation directly
If you know of a local charity, voluntary or community group, why not get in touch with them and see if they have any volunteer roles which you would be interested in? Or if you are interested in a particular cause or location, search online for the charities that are working in that area.
Give us a call
If you would find it useful to talk through the next steps with one of our team, give us a call on 0330 236 9350 or email us on email@example.com
- Are you interested in finding out about volunteer opportunities in Buckinghamshire? Register with the Buckinghamshire Volunteer Matching Service, tell us what your preferences are and then a member of the team will look for a role that suits you.
- Tap into a wide range of resources for volunteers including information on types of volunteering, a live stream of the latest volunteering roles in the county and volunteering during the pandemic. Visit our I want to volunteer information.