To celebrate International Women’s Day (8th March 2021), we held Buckinghamshire’s first seminar for charities, community groups and local organisations to hear and share ideas about women and leadership in our community. If you weren’t able to join us on the day or would like a reminder of the insights and tips from our panel, follow the links to their presentations and blogs below.
Hosted by our Chair Mimi Harker OBE and CEO Katie Higginson, the panel of inspiring of women working within the charity sector discussed the key areas of:
- Charity Careers and Wellbeing for Women – Emma-Louise Singh & Emma Low, both from Nova Fundraising. View their presentation here.
- Women, Leadership and Charities – Karen Satterford, Vice Chair of Trustees, Community Impact Bucks.
- Building an Inclusive Charity Culture – Ranjula Takodra MBE, Founding Director of Inspire All CIC, interviewed by Mimi Harker OBE, both members of the Buckinghamshire BAME Network. Read our blog on the five tips on how to build an inclusive charity culture.
Attendees had a chance to share their own experience as women working and volunteering in the charity sector in the county:
- “Inclusion is so important because of the perspective that individual can bring to the organisation.” – Caroline Bennett, Pace
- “Absolutely agree with the value of mentoring or coaching – it was the very best thing I have ever done for my personal development.” – Carolyn Clarke
- “This is a very empowering seminar. Nothing like inspiring, strong, professional, beautiful, powerful, leading woman in our local community. Truly feeling blessed.” – Jax
- “I am in the voluntary rather than charity sector (so no pay!) and share many of these issues. To compensate at least in part for the tremendous effort we all donate, we are supported with a number of development opportunities including a current Leadership training and coaching programme which is a huge benefit. I think the most useful model for me at the moment is Situational Leadership.” – Maddy Howe, Marsh and Micklefield Big Local
If you missed the opportunity to join us live on the day, a recording of the seminar can be viewed on the Community Impact Bucks’ YouTube channel.
- For details of our training, networking events and 1:2:1 advice sessions, visit our Training and Events
- For tips and help on achieving a diverse charity board or management committee, visit our Board Diversity webpage.