Challenge events fundraising is where people get sponsored to take part in a task and donate the money, they raise to you. These funds are raised by completing an endurance task for example, London Marathon, overseas challenges, parachuting. These can be organised through challenge event companies, or your supporters may raise funds for the charity by organising their own fundraising activity.
Taking part in a challenge event appeals to your supporters as it gives them an opportunity to achieve their own personal goals and raise funds for your cause at the same time.
Here are some top tips:
- You can set up your own events for supporters to use as fundraising challenges. However, if you are a smaller organisation it can be easier to use someone else’s event. Please download our Challenge Event Companies list for some organisations that may be able to help you with this, and the Model challenge event sponsorship form.
- Don’t forget to make a budget for your challenge plan. What will you do if people don’t raise at least their entry fee? Check with your likely participants. How much do they think they can raise?
- Chartered Institute of Fundraising’s guidance on the requirements for charities on challenge events.
- Knowhow’s guidance for charities on organising fundraising challenges.
- Fundraising Regulator’s Charity challenge events
If you would like further advice about running challenge events, please book one of our 1-2-1 advice sessions.