How Climate Action Wendover, a community organisation focused on reducing the carbon footprint of the local area, accessed free support to set up solid governance for the future.
Climate Action Wendover (CLAW) is a community group of local residents who are concerned with the impact of climate change and want to focus on initiatives to help households and business to reduce their impact on the environment. Through direct action projects and advocacy work, CLAW has built its supporter base and profile, and has been mentioned in Parliament during a COP 21 debate. With the increasing reach the charity has, it was decided to review the organisation’s governance to best support the ongoing activity and its future aspirations.
Charity governance can be an incredibly complex subject and expert advice is encouraged to ensure that an organisation has the appropriate structure to deliver its services, as well as remaining robust and accountable. Various factors such as management structure, property ownership, sources of income have a crucial impact on the structure that an organisation uses.
In this instance, CLAW wanted support from Community Impact Bucks in order to ensure that the route it took was the best one to take the organisation into the future as its impact increased.
The first step that CLAW took was to complete the Healthcheck tool to get an accurate picture of where the organisation was at in terms of its structure and management.
The Healthcheck tool highlighted a number of points that the organisation wanted to focus on when deciding upon a governance structure:
- Is our Constitution strong enough and does it cover everything we need?
- What type of organisation should we be – charity, CIO, or another?
- Do we want our membership to make decisions or just the Trustees?
- What additional or stronger procedures do we need to have in place?
These points formed the basis of a tailored support session with Community Impact Bucks and ensured the group received relevant, bespoke guidance.
“Before I contacted Community Impact Bucks I simply didn’t know what I didn’t know. Having completed their questionnaire I already had an idea of what I needed to know and once I’d spoken to them I had a direction, references to more research, some answers and most of all someone friendly to help. I found their service exceptional.” – Paul Frost – Climate Action Wendover
Following the Healthcheck and the subsequent support session, CLAW decided to go down the route of becoming a Charitable Incorporated Organisation (CIO), and its application is currently with through the Charity Commission.
This new governance structure will provide a robust foundation on which CLAW can build upon its activity and continue to deliver on its mission.
- Climate Action Wendover focuses on reducing the carbon footprint of the local area through the promotion of recycle & reuse initiatives and supporting; for more information, visit the Climate Action Wendover website.
- If your organisation would benefit from free 1:2:1 advice from one of Community Impact Bucks’ VCSE and Development officers, you can book an appointment at a time that suits you by clicking on Funding and Governance support session, and Volunteer Management and Recruitment support session.
- For more information on Running your organisation, go to our Support for Groups webpage for a range of online resources.
Updated on February 21, 2023Back